Cotton is one of the most useful crops in the country. It can be used for hygienic purposes, for making yarns, and many other more. This crop usually grows in countries with subtropical climate and they require average temperature of 60 degrees Fahrenheit for germination and 70-80 degrees Fahrenheit for vegetative growth. Cotton cultivation would also require an annual rainfall of at least 50 cm. These factors should be maintained to ensure quality cotton harvest that can serve different purposes for us.
In cotton cultivation, the soil will be one of the resources to be considered. Good soil quality is beneficial for the plant’s growth as it will supply the needed nutrients for it to grow well. It will also need an excellent water holding capacity and aeration and a good drainage because it cannot withstand moisture and logging. Red sand loam, alluvial soils, and black soils are group of soils that are best for cotton cultivation. Seed rate and spacing should also be considered as it will surely affect the growth of the crop. A recommended seed rate of 15-25 kg/hectare and spacing of 75-90 cm between the rows is important especially in irrigated conditions. On the other hand, 12-16 kg/hectare and spacing of 45-60 cm between rows is good for dryland cotton.
Planting and harvesting time are also important factors as they affect the quality and quantity of pima cotton distribution in the market. The sowing of cotton begins in the first week of February in South Texas while in northern areas of the Cotton Belt it begins on first week of June. Proper timing should be considered as a specific season provides more opportunity for the plant to grow fully.
Fertilizers also play a role in cotton production. Its application depends on every state and the soil’s available nutrients. Chemicals like nitrogen and phosphorus are considered economical for dryland cotton crop. Nitrogen is usually applied in two doses, the half is applied at the time of sowing and the other one is applied as top dressing during thinning or before flowering.
Long fiber cotton requires additional soil preparation before sowing. This may involve ploughing, loosening, and harrowing to make the soil more suitable for cultivation. This is more helpful for mass production of long fiber cotton as it provide more nutrients and viable environment for its growth.
Cotton cultivation and production requires special attention on factors like soil and the application of the fertilizer. The quality of the crop depends on factors that affect its growth and viability. Planting and harvesting this crop would require knowledge and proper timing to allow for more quality production.
Cotton can serve several uses ranging from yarn making, pillows, and hygienic purposes. How to successfully plant and harvest this crop requires skills and techniques to ensure quality on its products. Harvesting cotton can be done in the early fall if you have managed to plant it in early spring. Protecting it from different pests like squirrels and aphids will also help you to produce quality crops that can go a long way with its products. Harvesting is as important as planting as it also requires proper timing and skills.
During the whole season of the pima cotton you should be able to guard it from all kinds of pests that can destroy it. Oftentimes, pests attack the bolls and it would surely be a damage not only to the crop itself but also to your sales. You can wait for the bolls to mature or open but this may also cause them to be attacked by predators. You may use pesticides to deal with this or you may opt for natural pest control which can be easily done with flowers or other plants.
Defoliation should also be considered if the crop is large enough to require commercial equipment. This should be done when several bolls have already opened in each plant. There are several ways on how to do this like using chemicals available in the market or through organic method. This will enable plants to get rid of excessive growth which can greatly affect the harvest.
When harvesting, there are two types of commercial cotton pickers that you can use. You can choose from the spindle type or the brush stripper. The spindle type is the most common but the brush stripper is still being used in southern part of the United States. The choice for the right cotton picker will greatly depend on the crop owner and the technique on how it will be harvested.
You can begin harvesting your crop by clearing six to eight rows of long fiber cotton. You should use a Module Builder to form a mound of cotton into a tightly compressed stack. This machine will compress the cotton to hold 6-8 bales.
You should ensure that your crop is safe from pests and other things that can damage it. By doing this, you will be sure on the quality of your harvest which can greatly produce quality products. Quality pima cotton can be used in making fabulous yarns and other products that are made out of it. Proper method of harvesting cotton will not only help you reap the benefits of long planting but will also ensure quality once it reaches the market.
Leisure time gives everybody a chance to relax. This is the time to better find ourselves. It is the moment to relieve our stress from work. There is a time to free ourselves in the heavy pressures and hectic schedules of our job. Also, it is the time to have a retreat, asking our family for an outing that makes the family bond stronger. Leisure time gives us the chance to experience some unusual adventures and to try thrilling sports like hiking, biking, surfing, scuba diving and others. Some people prefer to stay in a certain place just to watch television and movies, listen to their favorite songs, reading novels and magazines and even doing a simple hobby like drawing, sketching, painting and knitting.
Even we are living in a gadget and machine influenced world, many people are still attached to the old way hobbies like reading, cross stitching, sketching and knitting. These hobbies require no fixed place. As long as the environment is safe and conducive to relaxing, these activities can be done successfully.
These are some activities that are suited for everybody.
- Reading helps one to be knowledgeable. Through reading, we can fully understand several of concepts and terms. Also, reading provides clear view of things. We could relate to the stories and experiences told in books, magazines and any other reading materials.
- Another activity is cross stitching which is one of the most popular hobbies in the world. This activity is easy to learn and do. You will just make embroider stitched with lots of ‘x’ stitches to create a lovely design. Aside from cross stitch is done anywhere, the basic supplies are inexpensive. Giving you many hours of relaxing and productive activity, one may buy kit that will last for a week or a month.
- Knitting is a way by which thread and yarn is used to make a cloth. Many people engaged in this activity because it can be done in free time. There are many kinds of yarn that could be used in different purposes. It is very important to know the kind of knitting yarn you are going use like yarns in Ormond. Some people also use free knitting patterns like free knitting patterns in Ormond Beach as guide to make attractive products. Knitted items could be made as gifts and presents to someone.
- One suggested activity is sketching where one can just use two tools; a pencil and a paper. This activity will help you to express how you feel. In sketching your mind will work creatively by making pictures out of your thoughts.
There is that good feeling when you do something good for someone special. You will have the feeling of satisfaction for a job well done. Giving gifts to your love ones is a very touching thing you can do. Imagine receiving one of these presents, definitely, you will have a big and blessed day.
Being emotional is one characteristic of a person especially women. People who are emotional prefer to treasure simple things and easily appreciate simple efforts. They became very happy whenever they receive letters, cards and other personalized things. The thought that they are remembered by someone is a very big thing.
Although there are many gift items that are seen everywhere coming from big stalls, a simple gift will do.
- Writing a letter to anyone gives you a chance to express how you really feel. Words are very powerful when it is used as a tool in sharing your thoughts, ideas and views. Usually, letters are kept for how many years for they give sentimental value. Writing a letter to someone is still one of the most romantic ways in expressing your feelings.
- Designing a personalized item is also an affordable way in making your special someone happy. Your favorite quotations, photographs and any other memorable icons can be added in the design of your personalized gift item.
- If you also want to have extra effort, you may also try to make craft products like knitted hats, scarf, purse, totes, phone covers and etc. You can have knitting patterns in Ormond Beach for creating creative items. Patterns for knitting in Ormond Beach provides you easy knitting patterns that suit for your special one. You must also know the kind of yarn you are going to use. You can try to find for colorful and durable yarns.
- Framed drawing is also an appreciated gift to someone. As they say, a picture paints a thousand words. If you are not expressive in words but have skills in handling pen and crayons, draw something you wanted and frame it. You can use the ability of your imaginations to form pictures and express it in a blank sheet.
There are many ways to express your feelings to someone who is very dear to you. Whether it is by sending costly gifts or wrapping a simple work of effort, the most important thing to remember is you let the recipient know that he or she matters to you. You let them know you care and you are there for them.